Sunday, December 19, 2004

My training has now started to progress into the unknown. Yesterday I ran this weeks long run which at 30kms/19.2 miles was the longest I have ever attempted. All started smoothly and for the first 3/4 of the run I was really relaxing into the run and enjoying myself. I am getting used to running my long runs slower, it takes a bit of effort but I think it is worth it so the rest of the week feels manageable.

One of the more enjoyable moments was when I realised I wasn't deluded I really was catching up with the middle aged man riding a cycle of in the distance. Sweden isn't short of cyclists and I sometimes use them as a "hare" when doing speedwork but catching a cyclist on a long run surely shouldn't be possible. It usually feels like they are toying with me, allowing themselves to be caught before breezing of down a slight hill never to be seen again. This guy however I was actually reeling in, I thought for a moment we were going to have the embarrassing period of running alongside a panting cyclist not wishing to admit defeat, but this fella just kept to the same pace and I sailed by. Well that's the way I remember it anyway. I like to think this episode was due to my transformation into a long distance running superstar. Sadly I think this guy should just be ashamed.

If only the rest of the run continued in the same vain. The last couple of kilometers were a taster of what the future brings. Energy drained away, stride reduced to a mere shuffle and a desire to be anywhere else but on the road. Its only to be expected I guess but it has reintroduce doubt into my mind. The 31km point was were my Stockholm Marathon attempt earlier in the year fell apart I wouldn't want history to repeat itself. Focusing on the positive, in my training for London I have already prepared much better than for Stockholm with over 110 days still remaining. Despite being only a long slow training run which are meant to be 30 to 45 seconds per mile slower than marathon pace I was actually 5 minutes faster than my 30km spilt for the Stockholm race. The most encouraging moment to come from the run was being able to restart again after having to wait to cross the road towards the very end of the race. Despite how tired I thought I was there must have been some spare energy still left in the tank.

For now I plan to keep focusing on the positive, keep plodding and keep hoping everything takes care of itself but I think I have a better idea now of what lies ahead.

3 Comments:

At 12:08 AM, Blogger Evil Pixie said...

Sounds like you are doing really really well! I'm at about half that distance (did 11m last week!) but it's great to hear others doing so well especially as I can picture the scenery that you are running in from my brief visit to Sweden!
Keep up the good sorry great work!
pixie

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger James said...

Thank you for your comments Kim. I am probably running distances that are a little bit ahead of myself at the moment. If I had a little more time I would have repeated 17/18 miles a couple of times. However I feel I need to get up to 20 miles as quickly as possible as I dont fancy running them at the more traditional times when we will have ice covered by a thin layer of snow.

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger RobW said...

James - That is an awesome run to be putting in at this stage of training and at a good pace as well. Well Done!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home